Castle Leslie is a beautiful country estate situated on 1,000 acres of idyllic Irish countryside in County Monaghan.
The History of Castle Leslie
The Castle still belongs to its founding family – the Leslie Family – who arrived in Ireland in the 16th Century and bought the property. Built in the Scottish Baronial style, it was designed by the firm Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon in 1870, on the site of an earlier castle.
The past decade has seen extensive restoration of the property, bringing it back to its original glory.
Castle Leslie is some resident ghosts. They’re particularly fond of the The Red Room and The Mauve Room. You can read more about the castle’s ghostly tales here.
What’s it Rated?
4 Stars of country elegance
Get Me There Now!
80 minutes from Dublin Airport
60 minutes from Belfast Airport
Famous Guests Before Me
Sir Paul McCartney married Heather Mills here in 2002
Poet WB Yates
Irish statesman General Michael Collins
Members of the Churchill family to whom the Leslie’s are related
Rooms at the Castle Leslie Estate
No matter what your taste, Castle Leslie has plenty to choose from. From luxury “feel like royalty” suites in the Castle to country house chic in The Lodge to self-catering Mews and cottages.
Rooms in the Castle
Castle Master Bedrooms
Located in the Castle, these luxury suites offer a real Castle experience. The suites have played host to royalty and other famous visitors throughout the years, as well as being family rooms.
- Five suites in total all with a captivating history and stories
- Each suite is individually decorated and offers true luxury
- Beautiful views over the Estate grounds
- Spacious and all offer a comfortable seating area
Castle Heritage Bedrooms
With names such as The Governess Room, The Nursery, The Chinese Room, you’ll love staying in one of these historic heritage rooms in the Castle.
- 15 rooms in total
- Full of history and character
- Fully restored, romantic rooms that offer relaxation and privacy
- Uniquely decorated, retaining original features
- Rooms feature antiques, heirlooms and curios collected throughout the centuries
Rooms in The Lodge
The Lodge at Castle Leslie offers 29 beautifully decorated rooms that offer period features and original character.
Lodge Classic Bedroom
- A chic, country house aesthetic
- Those located in the original buildings and stable are decorated in a cosy traditional style while those in the newer wings are more contemporary
- King size or twin bedding, 28-inch flat screen TV, free standing roll top bath, separate walk in shower
- Bathroom amenities from The Handmade Soap Company
- Colour schemes are either rich reds or fresh, classic greens.
- Bespoke and individual artwork plus thoughtful in-room touches
Lodge Superior Room
- Offering all the comforts of the Lodge Classic Rooms with more space
- Balconies that overlook the Equestrian Centre courtyards or a comfortable sitting area
Lodge Jigsaw Junior Suite
- Private entrance
- King-sized bed, 28” flat screen TV
- Beautifully appointed with a sitting area and lovely views
Rooms in The Old Stable Mews
The Old Stable Mews in the old coach house is a blend of contemporary elegance and Victorian craftsmanship. The Mews are set within a cut-stone courtyard a 15-minute walk or a short drive through the estate from the Castle.
- 2-bedroom Mews with all modern comforts
- Complimentary wi-fi and 20 TV channels
- Ideal for families, friends and small groups
- Fully equipped playroom for the kids
- Self-cater – you can also choose to include a welcome basket, breakfast basket or pre-stocked fridge to take the hassle out of self-catering
- Many of the Mews are dog-friendly
Gorgeous, original cottages located around the village square of historic Glasough – just a five minute walk from the castle grounds.
- Four and five bedroom cottages
- Open fires, sliding sash windows, cut limestone and salvage brick, slate roofs
- Ideal for large groups and families – each cottage caters for up to 8 – 10 people
- Individually decorated with spacious living area, TV, DVD, stereo and complimentary wi-fi
- Open-plan modern, fully-equipped kitchens
- Five bedroom cottages have 3 double bedrooms with en-suite, one double and one twin with shared bath
- Four bedroom cottages have two double bedrooms with en-suite, one double and one twin with shared bath
- Bed linens and towels provided
- Guests have access to all the facilities and activities at Castle Leslie
Check out this great video of Castle Leslie which will give you a look inside the various rooms and facilities of the hotel.
Dining at Castle Leslie Estate
Part of the luxury experience at a Castle is the dining. The Executive Chef at Castle Leslie Estate, Andrew Bradley, combines his years of Michelin experience with some re-invented family recipes that date back centuries – with a modern twist.
- Regional and artisanal foods sourced locally
- Conor’s Bar offers Irish country cooking, lazy breakfasts, light lunches or picnic lunches in a casual environment. Evenings can be spent enjoying great music and craic or simply relaxing by the roaring fire
- Snaffles Restaurant is a 2 AA Rosette award winning open-plan brasserie with a dramatic, hand-carved ceiling and robust oak beams paired with a striking contemporary glass wall
- Signature dishes are cooked in a wood-burning stove oven
- Formal afternoon tea is served in the Castle
What else can I do here?
Bring your horse! Castle Leslie Estate is the perfect place for horse riding holidays for enthusiasts of all levels. There are 21 miles of meandering bridleway paths on the estate itself and plenty of opportunities for bracing cross-country rides in the local area.
The Victorian Treatment Rooms
This haven of pampering and relaxation offers seven treatment rooms, a relaxation area and hot tub. They offer a range of treatments and use beautiful organic skincare from the Eminence Organics and Voya ranges. Ahhhhh……
- Pike fishing
- Private movie screenings at the cinema in the Castle
- Walking – the Estate offers a wide range of exceptional walks
- Biking on the nearby Ulster Canal Cycle Trail
- Clay Pigeon Shooting